BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Observations from the Fans in the Stands - Bethany Christian

When the world says, "Give up," Hope whispers, "Try it one more time."
~Author Unknown

This one was a bummer! After dominating for most of the game, with lots of shots on goal, but unfortunately no goals, Bethany scored with about 6 minutes left in the game. This is soccer! It doesn't always make sense and the "good guys" don't always win! Or is this life?

I would love to say I handled this one with grace and kept the big picture in mind, but I have to confess, I was mad! And I didn't think it was fair!! And I pouted like I did in 2nd grade when I didn't get the special part in the Christmas Musical! I really think it's about time OUR girls get a break! They have been working so hard! They know they have potential! They know they've been "in" every game! They know that tough times build character! But none of that helps when the losses are coming more frequently than the wins! (And when this mom is acting like she did in 2nd grade!) I really want the girls to be able to look back on this year and say "that was a great year"! And it breaks my heart that they are ending so many of their games sad and frustrated!

I guess it's back to that whole thing of "that's life". Many times we try our best, knowing we have the ability to accomplish a task, and we end up failing to do so. When it happens over and over again we often times want to give up. We don't necessarily give up trying with our skills, but we give up our passion for it because it hurts to keep trying with our heart!

So where do we go from here? First of all, I need to turn back into the adult and be a parent to my daughter! I need to encourage her to keep doing her best, even if it does not produce the results she wants. I need to let her know her self-worth does not depend on success in a game. Because, after all, it is just a game and games are just for fun! I need to be the voice of hope and whisper in her ear "try it one more time". Even if the record doesn't show what a talented, beautiful (inside and outside) and hard-working group of girls this is, she will know this is the year that no matter what, she never quit trying. And because of that (not the record)...this was a great year!

0 comments: